Warning: main() [function.main]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/coheart/public_html/articles/header.php on line 111
Notice: Undefined variable: indexpage in /home/coheart/public_html/articles/header.php on line 111
Click here to return to article list page
Water Purifier and Home Water Filter Systems -
How they help with Shower Water Filters
by: Helena Ray
- Possibly one of the most significant risks to your health is not about what you put in your body by the way of food and water, but what you put on your body when bathing in tap water. Our skin is the bodies largest organ and easily absorbs contamination, which pass through out are blood stream, therefore, whatever we put on are skin ends up in our body.
- Chlorine chemically bonds with protein in the hair, skin and scalp, which causes them to become brittle as well as loose color. The longer the shower the greater the concentration of chlorine gas in the air we breathe. Chlorine is a known poison and when showering is absorbed directly into the blood stream as well as through the lining of our lungs. To shower or to bath in tap water is like showering and bathing in a swimming pool. Warm shower water opens up the pores in the skin making our skin like a sponge.
- The dictionary defines Chlorine as a gaseous greenish- yellow element used in bleaching and disinfections. Chlorination in our drinking and showering water began in the 1890's to fight water born diseases such as cholera and typhoid. People stopped dying of typhoid and cholera, but they started dying of different cancers and heart diseases. At the present day studies and reports indicate that taking long warm showers with no ventilation is a major health risk. Showering in tap water lead to greater exposure to toxic chemicals contained in water supplies than does drinking the water. The chemicals evaporate out of the air and are inhaled.
Those of us who would shower in tap water as well as those around the household when we shower can receive six to 100 times more chemicals by breathing the air than they would by drinking the water. Fortunately chlorine can easily be removed from our shower water by several different filtering media.
- The damage we're doing to ourselves and the earth has become painfully obvious. We must remember that great change is needed and great change is only going to occur when large groups of people come together and unite for a common cause. If we want to leave something for the future generation we must start taking some immediate steps to stop contributing to the decline.
First by no longer using products that harm our eco-system and taking action on our health to cleanse, nourish and protect ourselves and our families. We need to protect ourselves from the toxic environment we created the best we can. Working together we will reverse the direction past generations have created and build a new world for ourselves and our children. Thank you for opening your mind, body, and soul.
DID YOU KNOW??
- Chlorine and your Shower
"Taking long hot showers is a health risk, according to research by the American Chemical Society--and to a lesser extent baths--lead to a greater exposure to toxic chemicals contained in water supplies than does drinking the water. The chemicals evaporate out of the water and are inhaled. They can also spread through the house and be inhaled by others.
House holders can receive 6 to 100 times more of the chemical by breathing the air around showers and bath than they would by drinking the water."
- NEW SCIENTIST 18 September 1986 Ian Anderson
"Studies indicates the suspect to chemicals can also be inhaled and absorbed through the skin during showering and bathing." "Ironically, even the chlorine widely used to disinfect water produces Carcinogenic traces." "Though 7 out of 10 Americans drink chlorinated water, its safety over long term is uncertain." "Drinking chlorinated water may as much as double the risk of Bladder Cancer, which strikes 40,000 people a year."
U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT - July 29 1991 Is Your Water Safe -- The Dangerous State of Your Water
- "A long hot shower can be dangerous. The toxic chemicals are inhaled in high concentrations."
BOTTOM LINE August 87 Dr. John Andelman, Ph.D
- "On one hand, chlorination has freed civilization from the constant dangers of waterborne epidemics. On the other hand in the mid--70's scientists discovered that chlorination could create carcinogens in water." "80%of the population drinks chlorinated water." "There was a higher incidence of cancer of the esophagus, rectum, breast, and larynx and of Hodgkin's Disease among those drinking chlorinated surface waters. "Conservative calculations indicate that inhalation exposure can be as significant as exposure from drinking the water, that is, one can be exposed to just as much by inhalation and/or dermal absorption."
IS YOUR WATER SAFE TO DRINK? Consumer Reports Books
"Skin absorption of contaminant has been underestimated and ingestion may not constitute the sole or even primary route of exposure."
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH Dr.Halina Brown
"Showering is suspected as the primary cause of elevated levels of chloroform in nearly every home because of the chlorine in the water."
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY Dr. Lance Wallace
- "A Professor of Water Chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh claims that exposure to vaporized chemicals in the water supplies through showering, bathing, and inhalation is 100 times greater than through drinking water." "As chlorine is added to kill pathogenic microorganisms, the highly reactive chlorine combines with fatty acids and carbon fragments to form a variety of toxic compounds, which comprise about 30% of the chlorination by--products."
"During the mid-1970's monitoring efforts began to identify widespread toxic contamination of the nation's drinking water supplies, epidemiological studies began to suggest a link between ingestion of toxic chemicals in the water and elevated cancer mortality risks. Since those studies were completed a variety of additional studies have strengthened the statistical connection between consumption of toxins in water and elevated cancer risks. Moreover, this basic concern has been heightened by other research discoveries."
THE NADER REPORT - TROUBLED WATERS ON TAP Center For Study of Responsive Law
- "The National Academy of Science estimates that 200 to 1000 people die in the United States each year from cancers caused by ingesting the contaminants in the water. The major health threat posed by these pollutants is far more likely to be from their inhalations as air pollutants. The reason that emissions are high is that because water droplets dispersed by the shower head have a larger surface--to--value ratio than water streaming into the bath."
SCIENCE NEWS, VOL. 130 Janet Raloff
- "The cause of arteriosclerosis and resulting heart attacks and strokes is none other than the ubiquitous chlorine in our drinking water."
CORONARIES/CHOLESTEROL/CHLORINE Dr. J.M. Price, M.D
"In the vast majority of causes where germ-free water is required whether for public supply or in the swimming pool, the process of disinfections will involve the use of chlorine in one form or another."
CHEMISTRY AND CONTROL OF MODERN CHLORINATION Dr. A.T. Palin, Ph.D(O.B.E.)
"Chlorine gas was despicably used during WWI. When the war was over, the use of chlorine was diverted to poisoning germs in our drinking water. All water supplies throughout the country were chlorinated. The combination of chlorine (when in drinking water) and animal fats results in arteriosclerosis, heart attacks, and death."
WATER CAN UNDERMINE YOUR HEALTH Dr. N.W. Walker, D.S.
"Chlorine is the greatest cripple and killer of the modern times. While it prevented epidemics of one disease, it was creating another. Two decades ago, after the start of chlorinating our drinking water in 1904. The present epidemic of the heart trouble, cancer and senility began."
SAINAW HOSPITAL Dr. J.M. Price MD.
- "Cancer risks among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine."
COUNCIL OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
- "Drinking tap water that is chlorinated is hazardous, if not deadly to your health."
HEALTHY WATER FOR A LONGER LIFE Dr. Martin Fox
"Known carcinogens are found in drinking water as a direct consequences of the practice of chlorination. A long established public health practice for the disinfection of drinking water."
MUNICIPAL ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH LABORATORY Francis T. Mayo, Director
- "Chlorine is used almost universally in the treatment of public drinking water because of its toxic effect on harmful bacteria and other waterborne, disease-causing organisms. But there is a growing body of scientific evidence that shows that chlorine in drinking water may actually pose greater long-term dangers than those for which it was used to eliminate. These effects of chlorine may result from either ingestion or absorption through skin. Scientific studies have linked chlorine and chlorination by-products to cancer of the bladder, liver, rectum, and colon, as well as heart disease, arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), anemia, high blood pressure, and allergic reactions. There is also evidence that shows that chlorine can destroy protein in our body and cause adverse effects on skin and hair. The presence of chlorine in the water may also contribute to the formation of chloramines in the water, which can cause taste and odor problems."
"Since chlorine is required by public health regulations to be present in all public drinking water supplies, it is up to the individual to remove it at the point-of-use in the home.The best available method of chlorine removal, for the individual consumer is found in the Shower Filter Unit."
"The Shower Filter Unit is of great value to those who are concerned about the adverse health effects of exposure to chlorine due to absorption through the skin or by inhalation. The Shower Filter will Provide superior protection form chlorine, when used in accordance with the Manufacturer's recommended operating procedures."
KEMYSTS LABORATORY Dr. Riddle, Ph.D.
This is documented information and in no way is Convictions of the Heart giving medical advice. We are not stating that any information given will be a cure any disease or aliment. What Convictions of the Heart is stating is TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE! Small changes in your daily life can make large changes in your health.
About the Author
Helena Ray is the creator of Convictions of the Heart, a website dedicated to helping people become aware of the current environmental problems and the personal effects on your health. Convictions of the Heart supports all green merchants and offers a variety of environmentally friendly products, all natural products, and whole foods.