Warning: main() [function.main]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CST/-6.0/no DST' instead in /home/coheart/public_html/articles/header.php on line 111
Notice: Undefined variable: indexpage in /home/coheart/public_html/articles/header.php on line 111
Click here to return to article list page
About Water Purification and Drinking Water
by: Helena Ray
- Water purification information is slim, at best. Water Filters and Water Purifiers are not all created equally and when you find out what most water purifiers and water filters miss, you will be amazed. Of course, our drinking water should be clean, pure, and healthy. Some 36 million Americans drink water that is contaminated with toxins, microbes, and other pollutants.
The National Academy of Sciences estimated that 200 to 1000 people die in the United States each year from cancer; caused from the long-term effects of ingesting contaminants in the water. Nearly 90% of all violations of the Safe drinking water Act are not reported in the government database.
- The government only treats the water if it's not filtered by a water purifier or water filter. We as consumers need to look for alternatives in order to restore or keep our good health.
Using some sort of home filtration unit for your water is mandatory. I'm sure you agree? Always look for filtration units with the NSF approval (National Sanitation Foundation) is an independent non- profit organization that certifies and tests water treatment products. These filtration units effectively reduce common contaminants such as herbicides, pesticides, MTBS (gasoline), lead, chlorine, and it will also enhance the ph of the water.
Abundant Earth offers home filtration units, which are rated the finest water systems. These filtration units give you quality water for just pennies to a gallon. Also another benefit is no more millions of tons of glass and plastic bottles being dumped in our nations landfills.
- The damage were doing to ourselves and the earth has become painfully obvious. We must remember that great change is needed and great change is only going to occur when large groups of people come together and unite for a cause. If we want to leave something for the future generation we must start taking some immediate steps to stop contributing to the decline.
First, by no longer using products that harm our eco-system. By taking action on our health to cleanse, nourish and protect ourselves and our families, we are improving. We need to protect ourselves from the toxic environment we created. By working together we will reverse the direction past generations have created and build a new world for our children and ourselves. Thank you for opening your mind, body, and soul.
DID YOU KNOW??
- The majority of our body makeup is water. Our cells need water for proper function of the human body as well as rejuvenation. So, it only stands to reason that we should develop a great concern over the issues of our drinking water.
We already know that water should be clean, safe, and above all healthy. This is the general consensus among everyone who considers water as a necessity of life. It is common knowledge that we could survive weeks during a famine, but only days without water.
- LEAD: Causes learning disabilities. Lead is particularly harmful to the developing brain and nervous system of fetuses and young children; elevated blood levels are associated with decreased intelligence and impaired neurobehavioral development.
- Chlorine: Chlorine is commonly used to disinfect drinking water. Chlorine can form compounds such as chloroform that can cause short or long term affects.
THM's (trihalomethanes) are chemicals that arise in the chlorination process of water and are suspected to be carcinogenic and mutagenic, possibly causing damage to DNA. Scientists have found an association between chlorine and an increased risk of bowel, kidney and bladder cancer.
- MTBE: Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether - is a chemical added to gasoline to make it burn cleaner. It is threatening to become a national crisis.
January 9th, 2000, 60 minutes reported on America's drinking water becoming more and more contaminated. MTBE being one of the many contaminants.
- Organic Contaminants: Carbon based compounds such as industrial solvents, herbicides, and pesticides. These contaminants that get into the water through runoff from cropland or discharge from factories.
- The information you have read may seem extremely shocking and overwhelming. We have to take matters into our own hands and protect ourselves, our families and friends.
Anything you can do to filter tap and shower water that eliminates or even minimizes chlorine and other contaminants will be helpful and possibly curative for some immune system problems. Products for immune defficiency problems are far a few between, and the use of a water filtration system is becoming one increasingly popular step. Always look for products that are NSF certified and who are members of the Water Quality Association. Remember, unless your having water delivered to your door and plastic bottles are reused. It's better for our planet to purchase a water filter system. No more lugging bottles home. It's better for you and our planet.
About the Author
Helena Ray is the creator of Convictions of the Heart, a website dedicated to helping people become aware of the current environmental problems and the personal effects on your health. Convictions of the Heart supports all green merchants and offers a variety of environmentally friendly products, all natural products, and whole foods.