Warning: main() [function.main]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/coheart/public_html/articles/header.php on line 111
Notice: Undefined variable: indexpage in /home/coheart/public_html/articles/header.php on line 111
Click here to return to article list page
Water Purifier Information and Bottled Water
by: Helena Ray
- Bottled Water pure drink or pure hype?
It seems in recent years, sales of bottled water have exploded. This is a result of a public perception of purity driven by advertisements and packaging labels. According to a four year scientific study recently made public by NRDC, (national resource Defense Council) bottled water sold in the United States is not necessarily clean or safer than most tap water.
- Bottled water is required to be tested less frequently than city tap water for bacteria and chemical contaminations. The bottled water rules allows for some contamination by E. coli or fecal coli form, (which indicate possible contamination with fecal matter) contrary to tap water rules, which prohibit any confirmed contamination with these bacteria. Similarly, there are no requirements for bottled water to be disinfected or tested for parasites.
- It seems that in order to find the best of the best in bottled water we need to look beyond the hype and commercials. Many websites, such as Convictions of the Heart, offer pure bottled water that is delivered to your door. Please be advised that the price of human life should not be measured in dollars and cents.
DID YOU KNOW??
- The EPA took a survey of 25 bottle water facilities in 1986, and the results of the survey were startling. Of the 25 bottled waters surveyed none of the 25 ever had a complete analysis. Eight percent of the water tested showed forms of bacteria. Sanitation was also determined to be a horrendous problem. The plastic bottles that arrived at the facilities had no caps and were not washed or rinsed before being filled.
- Benzene a chemical known to cause cancer was detected in bottles of a major bottled water company at levels that exceeded four times the EPA standards for tap water. Benzene is a dangerous environmental toxin used to manufacture plastics, detergents, a solvent in drugs, pesticides and other chemicals. Two major soft drink manufactures, entering the bottled water market where found to be using municipal tap water while representing them as "Mineral water." Another major brand of bottled water labeled "Spring Water," actually came from a well in an industrial facilities parking lot.
Please open your Eyes! These companies are padding their pockets at the consumers expense. In other words, they care nothing about your health. So, WHY?? should you buy their products. According to government and industry sources between 25 to 40 percent of bottled water sold in the US is tap water.
- For the sake of taste, bottled water may be a good solution but for the sake of safety its benefits are debatable.
- It seems now in the year 2000, the bottled water industry in the united states, is regulated on three levels: federal, state and trade association. Bottled water companies must adhere to the FDA's quality standards and good manufacturing practices. This ensures the safety of all bottled water products from production to packaging for consumption. There are also 3rd party inspections which is an unannounced plant inspection administered by an independent, internationally recognized third party inspection organization. This inspection covers quality and testing records, reviews all areas of plant operation from source through finished products.
- Currently there are inspections on bottled water. However, you should still like you to take matters into your own hands. If the bottled water smells or taste like anything but fresh, clear and odorless, Do not drink!! Remember if your consuming fresh clean water in your home when you purchase a bottle of water at your grocery store you may not be able to smell the chlorine because its always removed however other contaminants can be lurking in your water. Drinking fresh chemically free water is important, however, so is the container it's stored in. THINK! Is your plastic made of Benzene or some other chemical? Buy containers that are marked #7 which is a polycarbonate bottle. This ensures no plastic or dioxins leaching.
- The damage were doing to ourselves and the earth has become painfully obvious. We must remember that great change is needed and great change is only going to occur when large groups of people come together and unite for a cause. If we want to leave something for the future generation we must start taking some immediate steps to stop contributing to the decline.
First, by no longer using products that harm our eco-system. By taking action too cleanse, nourish and protect ourselves and our families, we are improving our health. We need to protect ourselves from the toxic environment we created. By working together we will reverse the direction past generations have created and build a new world for our children and ourselves. Thank you for opening your mind, body, and soul.
About the Author
Helena Ray is the creator of Convictions of the Heart (www.convictionsoftheheart.com), a website dedicated to helping people become aware of the current environmental problems and the personal effects on your health. Convictions of the Heart supports all green merchants and offers a variety of environmentally friendly products, all natural products, and whole foods.