Warning: main() [function.main]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/coheart/public_html/articles/header.php on line 111
Notice: Undefined variable: indexpage in /home/coheart/public_html/articles/header.php on line 111
Click here to return to article list page
The truth about the meat you eat
by: Helena Ray
- Federal Food Safety Inspector:
"Unwholesome, Adulterated Poultry being allowed to go out to Consumers" Thousands of pounds of chicken with tumors, pus, sores and scabs have been passed onto unsuspecting consumers by certain plants. One of the nation's second largest poultry processor, claiming that poultry leaving the plant was safe and USDA's reassurance that its relatively new experimental inspection program was a huge success. Inspection records show, according to newspapers, that the government tried to keep secret a picture of a plant unable to keep diseased poultry from reaching the consumer.
While chickens are not considered a threat to human health because poultry diseases cannot be transmitted to human beings, federal inspectors point out that diseased birds are supposed to be condemned because they are not considered wholesome. Under the government's definition, these include chickens with airsacculitis a common respiratory disease that leaves pus inside the carcass or those with tumors, sores, scabs or infections. Among the animal diseases that the USDA now says are safe for human consumption in slaughtered meat and poultry include: cancer; a pneumonia found in poultry called airsacculitis; glandular swellings or lymphomas; sores; infectious arthritis, and diseases caused by intestinal worms.
Consumer groups say production lines are moving so fast that they can't catch all the diseased carcasses, and some are ending up on supermarket shelves. "When I started inspecting, inspectors were looking at 13 birds a minute, then 40, and now it's 91 birds a minute with three inspectors. Consumer groups say, "You cannot do your job with 91 birds a minute."
"How long does it take for a 'bad' plant to be listed as bad? We can't tell you," USDA Inspector General Roger Viadero said in an interview, "because [the USDA] has not told the inspector what's bad."
- What is the quality of beef at modern meat plants? They seem to test the limits of the USDA's new inspection and meat safety system. At line speeds of more than 300 cattle per hour, things frequently go wrong. Organs tear and spill their contents. Fecal matter is smeared and splattered. The presence of fecal matter greatly increases the risk of pathogens, which is why USDA inspectors enforce a "zero-tolerance" policy for fecal contamination on meat carcasses. Meat smeared with fecal matter is supposed to be pulled off the line and cleaned by trimming. But there is no law that requires raw meat to be free of pathogens; the exception is for ground beef. Thus, raw meat must carry a label that specifies it must be properly cooked.
In fact, everyday, a full quarter of the American population will visit a fast food restaurant. In addition, 70% of visits to fast food restaurants are unplanned, meaning that consumers are eating food that they didn't plan on eating when they left the house. At meatpacking plants 3 times as many animals are killed in the same amount of time as were killed 50 years ago. While many industrial processes have been sped up by technology, the "kill lines" of meatpacking plants sure haven't. The equipment used today is the same that was used almost 100 years ago when Upton Sinclair described the reality of the meatpacking industry in the Jungle. They're still using a conveyor belt and a really sharp knife.
Today, because of this sped up process, one in five gutted carcasses is splattered with manure waste (more commonly known as shit). Considering that the average hamburger contains meat from over 100 cows it's virtually impossible to avoid meat that has been splattered with shit.
- THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE PUTTING IN YOUR BODY. MODERATION IN EVERYTHING WE DO (EATING, DRINKING, PHYSICAL ACTIVITY) IS THE KEY TO YOUR HEALTH, BECAUSE WE ARE WELL AWARE THAT COMPLETE CHANGE IS A LIFE LONG PROCESS. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS INFORMATION IS JUST TO RAISE YOUR CONSCIOUSNESS AND NOT TO BE FORGOTTEN!!
DID YOU KNOW??
- Due to the awful conditions in which modern animals intended for consumption are raised, there are also plenty of non-natural substances in their bloodstream. Beef cattle and chickens are routinely given anabolic steroids to make them grow quicker. As a result, modern chickens reach their slaughter weight in half the time they used to. Today's chickens often break their legs because they cannot support their unnaturally large bodies. In addition, chickens on factory farms must now be artificially inseminated because their breasts (consumers favorite part of the chicken) are too large to allow them to naturally mate. As it stands today, 1/2 of the total antibiotics produced in the United States are fed to factory-farmed animals.
The General Accounting Office found that 14% of all animals intended for consumption have illegally high amounts of drugs and pesticides in their system. Of the 143 drugs and pesticides that the General Accounting Office found in raw meat that was to be sold, 42 are known to be cancer causing, 20 are known to cause birth defects and 6 are known to cause mutations.
- 100% U.S.D.A. Grade is Bullshit
The USDA estimates that salmonella is present in 35 percent of turkeys, 11 percent of chickens and 6 percent of ground beef. Each year, food-borne pathogens cause 76 million illnesses and 5,000 deaths, according to the CDC.
- One of the main problems, is certain antibiotics are used to promote growth in chickens, cows and other food-producing animals. This can lead to strains of bacteria resistance in humans when using antibiotics, says Stuart Levy, president of the Alliance for the Prudent Use of Antibiotics, told United Press International. Many of these bacteria's can then infect people and cause fatal illnesses if antibiotics are no longer effective against them.
The increase in bacteria resistant to antibiotics has been a growing problem over the past several years. The main bacteria of concern are salmonella, campylobacter and E. coli. The World Health Organization calculates each year approximately 14,000 Americans die due to drug-resistant infections.
- The U.S. government is also concerned about the problem. Both the FDA and the Senate are taking steps to curtail antibiotic use in farm animals. Their recommendations call for discontinuing the use of antibiotics for growth promotion purposes. When do you figure they'll do this?
Unlike virtually all other products in the United States, the federal government does not have the authority to recall tainted meat. If the government wanted to make changes in any area of ill health to the general public they would.
Dioxin is a toxic waste product. It is formed when municipal and hazardous waste is burned and when chemicals containing chlorine are manufactured. It is a family of 75 chemicals technically known as "chlorinated dibenzo dioxins" (CDDs).
The most well known dioxin (2,3,7,8-TCDD) is extremely toxic and known to cause cancer in humans and animals. The World Health Organization upgraded dioxin from a "probable" to a "known human carcinogen" in February 1997. Dioxin is a known endocrine disruptor. Endocrine system includes pituitary gland (in head), thyroid gland (throat area), parathyroid glands (back of throat), adrenal glands (top of kidney), pancreas gland, and the gonad gland. As you can see this covers the entire body. If there is an abnormality with one or more of these glands many pathological conditions are the result of malfunction or disease forming in body.
It is believed that 96 percent of the general population's exposure to dioxins and dibenzofurans is through contaminated food -- primarily by eating the animal fat in meat, fish, poultry and dairy products. Dioxins and dibenzofurans are bioaccummulative -- they are stored mainly in fatty tissue and are passed up the food chain from plants to animals to humans. Stored levels of these substances remain constant or generally increase with time.
- Health Effects:
EPA ranks Dioxin in the top 10 percent most toxic chemicals for human health.
It is especially important to be conscientious when buying animal products. Not only is the industrialization of the meat industry causing great harm to the livelihood of many animals, but also toxins such as hormones or steroids that have been injected into the animal to boost its' animals' performance tend to build up in the foods we consume. Studies of humans exposed to high levels of dioxins and dibenzofurans have documented higher cancer mortality, adverse effects on the liver, adverse cognitive and behavioral effects and damage to the nervous system. Another typical observed effect is chloracne, a skin disorder. Consuming foods high in calories and fat yet low in nutritional value is an accident waiting to happen. We are also consuming more toxic pollutants and artificial ingredients than ever before and of course we expect our immune system and health not to pay the price. JUST MAKING A SMALL CHANGE WILL MAKE A LARGE DIFFERENCE!!
When you purchase organic meats, fruits, and vegetable try to stay away from processed foods or just consume in moderation. Convictions of the Heart knows some of us can't afford to buy all organic products, however, trying to eat as healthy as possible is key. This means eating healthier foods like fresh fish, meats, fruits and vegetable and staying away from the center of the supermarket (processed and chemically treated products). This is the surest way to keep young and healthy. Fruits and vegetables not only take care of your health but they enhance your beauty. No cosmetic in the world can match the glow and resilience of the skin when treated with inner enhancements. We can always see a difference in ourselves when we eat healthy. Incorporating supplements in your diet like proper vitamins and minerals will help restore your body. You will feel a difference just by changing this part of your life. When our awareness and consciousness becomes heightened only then will we see what were doing to our environment and ourselves.
Then we'll find the power within ourselves to force our government and industries to correct the environmental injustice we've created. Thank you for taking the time to review this information.Our Conviction to take action holds the promise for our future. Conviction to love, health and life and with your conviction today can be a new beginning for your tomorrow. CONVICTIONS OF THE HEART offers all kinds of great all natural complete nutritional blends with vitamins, minerals, herbs and more--for all ages.
About the Author
Helena Ray is the creator of Convictions of the Heart (www.convictionsoftheheart.com), a website dedicated to helping people become aware of the current environmental problems and the personal effects on your health. Convictions of the Heart supports all green merchants and offers a variety of environmentally friendly products, all natural products, and whole foods.